Chapter 3
Some things you never forget. I remember what I was wearing as we got into our rental car and began to drive toward the hospital. I remember the feeling of cold humid air, even in the car. I remember flashes of white and trees as we sped through the towns. I remember sitting in the cafeteria with a diet coke and Dave. I remember fidgeting with my hair and adjusting my shirt for the fiftieth time. Most of all I remember thinking, when will she be here? will she like us? do we look normal? does she want normal? will she change her mind when she see's us? when will she be here? All those questions were buzzing around in my head over and over for what seemed like hours, but was really I'm sure just a few minutes.We had talked to Michelle and her mom Christine throughout the day but meeting with them face to face for the first time was nerve-wracking. Then when they walked in, we stood up and introduced ourselves. I gave them hugs and just like that everything was okay. I wasn't scared and I felt so peaceful. That feeling I had for Michelle has never gone away, after that inital meeting I never doubted her intentions or sincerity. Looking back it seems like a pretty incredible leap, but there it was, we now had a common love, the babies.
The babies, I hadn't even met them yet. As we walked up to the NICU, we had a little nervous exchange of words, not much. I was holding back sooooo much emotion. When we walked in to meet our babies for the first time it was very surreal, but also so normal. They were so tiny. Simon had barely reached three pounds, and Olivia was still just under three. We got to hold them, and they seemed so fragile with thier feeding tubes and heart monitors all hooked up to them. It was a little overwhelming to see such tiny creatures, and I thought at that moment "I will do anything for you guys. I don't care how hard it will be, or how sick you might stay, we will keep you and love you forever."
The story doesn't end here. Things are just about to get really good, and realy hard. Stay tuned.
To read the first two chapters, click on the "Our Adoption Story" label
3 comments:
These excerpts are always so touching. What a wonderful story and thank you for sharing it with us!
I love your story...thanks for sharing it! Your kids couldn't be cuter! Maybe one of these years I will get to see you guys. Love ya!
I can't belive it has almost been a year since you got them. I love your adoption story, it will never get old. You guyz are so cute, we love and miss you terribly.
Post a Comment