CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Our Adoption Story

Chapter 1
Beginnings

I want to share our story of how we were blessed with Simon and Liv. It's been quite a journey, and I thought it would be fun to tell our story in small doses.

Let me begin by saying how hard it is when in the adoption process, not to be a "waiting by the phone," person. Spending hours pouring your soul into essays and surveys all while trying not to sound too eager took a long time for us. Almost a year in fact. I would write for a while and then have to stop. When we were finally approved I think somewhere in the back of my head I thought, all right in only a few more weeks now. (click on the link below to see what our profile looked like dave.missy.fl.googlepages.com/ouradoptionprofilepages)

It is very hard to have no control over your future family. Mom's would call us, email us, and decide if they liked us. When nothing panned out, I began to be a little more proactive. We were listed on a national registry and a lady emailed me saying she had an online referral site, which basically has adoptive situations available from various agencies throughout the country. You look at the situations i.e, gender, brief history etc, and if interested contact the agency and the screening process begins. For me this was like the golden apple. I found a way to be able to control part of our situation. We had the choice.

So I began to choose! I would fish around on the website everyday and talk to Dave about all the situations. I think he thought I was a little crazy at first. Nothing felt completely right though, and I began to feel discouraged again.

Then the miracle week! I will always remember this week, as one where Heavenly Father couldn't ignore the prayers of so many. I taught Relief Society on Sunday, and felt impressed to talk a little about our adoption struggles(which I never did, because it is super hard,) but I did, and so many people came up to me and shared their stories of heartache and yearning...it was the most amazing feeling. Throughout the week I received phone calls from various ward members saying they loved my lesson and were thinking about me and praying for me. I felt it too! I have never felt so humbled and loved as I did that week by the prayers of others. I could feel the strength of them!

Thursday morning:
a.m-phone call from agency about prospective baby
a.m-thinking about calling agency and telling them to drop our file
a.m-check referral site one last time and see description that looks something like this
twin babies born November 18 at 29 weeks
one boy, one girl
birth mom reports no drugs or alcohol in system
babies are healthy and doing well
location:Wisconsin (eek)

After I read this description, I KNEW Simon and Olivia were meant for us. I can't explain it other than feeling overjoyed, overwhelmed, humbled, and scared. I called Dave and stared to cry, then I called the agency and said "I think these babies are meant for us."
.....to be continued

3 comments:

Jac said...

Miss-thanks for starting to share your story! I so look forward to hearing the rest! You are a special soul!

Christie said...

I'm so glad you are sharing your story. I know it's probably not easy. I'm anxious to hear the rest.

Amber Burt said...

I have never heard this part of the story and am so excited to hear the rest!